Monday, 24 November 2008

7 things - a trip down my memory lane

Al from This Little Piggy Had Tofu (don't you just love that name?) has tagged me in a meme and, since I have been feeling like a slack blogger, I thought that I would jump to it and immediately play. I started with a little childhood memory and suddenly that became the theme. I'm afraid that I also found myself being very wordy. I hope you don't mind taking a little trip down my memory lane...



Rules: Link the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog. Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links. Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

1. I have kept a journal, in various forms, since I was around 7 years old. My early entries are hilarious - they generally consist of a detailed list of what I ate that day and a short description of my various activities. Generally I wrote the most over the summer and so they would read like this:
"Woke up at 6am. Watched cartoons - Jem, He-man, Smurfs, Baby muppits (etc). Had breakfast of corn flakes. Went to pool. Went to beach. Had lunch - sandwiches. Went to beach again. Went to Grundies and had an ice cream."
(We spent our summers with Grandparents on the Gold Coast).
Every now and then I would make a dramatic confession like the fact that Jem was my favourite cartoon. Occasionally I would also vow to never again speak to my father, brother, mother, or best-friend if I had just had an argument with them. This would quickly be amended to reflect the fact that we had made up minutes later.

2. When I was a child I had quite a few pets. I had a collie dog called Ralphie, two guinea pigs (Ernie and Bert), four dwarf bunnies; a (slightly evil) black cat called Beelzebub (Beezie for short); several goldfish and tropical fish; and a bordie-collie/kelpie-cross named Chockie. Chockie was the best, cutest, smartest dog that ever existed (in my humble opinion).

3. My parents separated when I was 5 years old. I remember the night that they told me quite vividly. My brother was crying and when I asked why my Mum said "We're having pizza for dinner." I was still on a high about this fact when she actually broke the news...
I remember that my Dad took the following day off work because he was so sad, but that I had to go to school. I wasn't sad (I didn't really get it), but I was annoyed that I had to go to school. My parents shared custody (as it was called back then) and my brother and I spent a week at each parent's house - moving every Sunday. I remember believing that this arrangement came about because neither of them could bear to be away from me for too long.



4. I had a small red duffle bag that I used to move between my parent's houses. I would pack it on Sunday mornings, before Sunday school and church, with my basic essentials for the week - school uniform, shoes, homework & treasured items. I must have had two of everything else, but I can't remember. Every week, almost without fail, I would forget something that I had intended to bring with me. I was constantly being told that I needed to be more organised, but now I wonder whether any 5 year-old would have been particularly organised under such an arrangement?

5. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I couldn't make up my mind in the shoe shop when we were buying my school shoes and so my Dad bought me a pair of desert boots. I hated them. One day I had left my only other winter shoes (sneakers) at my Mum's house and so on the Monday I had to wear the desert boots to school. I still remember sitting in the playground with my feet inside my school bag, crying.

6. My dad's house was a passive solar house in Narrabundah that my parents had helped design before the divorce. We lived in it with various other people that my father knew from our church and community, and later with my father's partner and her three children. It had an attic that was a playroom for my brother and I while we were still sharing a room (until it became my brother's bedroom and, later still, my step-brother's bedroom). My room was the only south-west facing room. It was quite large with built-in cupboards. Above the cupboards my father had built a loft that held a single mattress (my bed) and a small bookcase. On the bookcase I stored my treasures (including the costume jewellery that I inherited from my great-grandmother). It was about 3 or 4 metres off the ground and could be accessed only my a small wooden bridge that was too small to comfortably fit an adult. It was my special place and I loved it.

7. My mum's house was in O'Connor. We lived in it with various other people from the peace movement (and some others who had responded to a 'for-rent' ad in the paper). It had a granny flat on the back that Mum used as her room (until my brother was 16 and it became his little zone). We used to redecorate this house all the time. Mum would let us chose paints in any colour we liked and we would paint all the rooms ourselves. My brother selected an amazing combination of turquoise green walls with rose skirting boards. You could see it glowing from the other end of the house. My room was on the north-east corner of the house and it was bright and airy. I painted it sky blue - walls and ceiling - and put glow-in-the-dark stars all over the ceiling. I also had a white dresser and a white hat stand for my clothes. I loved this room too.

OK. Seven people huh? Alright, well here I go (but no pressure, of course. Only play if you feel like it and haven't already):
  1. Laura
  2. Adelaide Writer
  3. Pavlov's Cat
  4. Karen
  5. Chelle
  6. &Duck
  7. Cat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin